Is CBD really that great?
In the last few years, the use of CBD has become increasingly popular due to the numerous medical and therapeutic benefits it offers to the body. CBD is an active compound found in the hemp plant that is high in cannabidiol and low in THC. CBD has no psychoactive effects, which implies that it won't get you high, it has no side effect and it is non-addictive.
Even though the use of CBD has not been approved by the FDA, sales, and distribution of CBD products have been on a steady increase due to the numerous benefits CBD offers to the body.
Benefits of CBD
CBD offers so many benefits to the body, some of which include:
- Pain modulation: CBD is an effective agent for pain modulation in humans. CBD is used to treat conditions like arthritis, epilepsy, and other forms of infectious and non-infectious conditions. Research has also established that CBD is effective for managing different forms of pain, which include neuropathic pain because of the link between the endocannabinoid system and the central nervous system as well as the peripheral nervous system.
- Management of depression and mood disorders: Depression is a condition that affects a sizeable proportion of persons around the world, especially the young population. Depression also contributes to the increased loss of productivity as a result of a loss of interest in everyday activities.
- Cannabinoids have been established as effective for managing depression and mood disorders due to their abilities to interact with the nervous system and increase the levels of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that modulates moods and is responsible for positive moods. It is, however, noteworthy that taking CBD for managing depression and mood disorders should be according to the advice of a qualified and licensed medical practitioner since the actions are dosage-sensitive and the required dosage could vary amongst individuals.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: When the body is exposed to certain foreign substances that could be harmful, the natural process of inflammation occurs. This natural process could become harmful when it is sustained for a long period and could lead to chronic conditions.
- Cannabinoids also have notable anti-inflammatory properties and are known for delaying the process of inflammation that could lead to chronic conditions. This is one of the therapeutic properties of cannabinoids that cuts across different chronic conditions and has been implicated in the management of arthritis.
- Prevention of cancer: The preventive health benefits of cannabinoids include the prevention of different types of cancer. Research has shown that cannabinoids such as CBD can prevent the growth and progression of cancer as well as treat cancers such as skin cancer. Topical forms of cannabinoids have been especially noted as therapeutic for skin cancer.
- Bone healing: Although bones can heal naturally without the use of any agent, the bone healing and repair activities of cannabinoids, have been widely noted. The abilities of these compounds to heal and repair bones faster than the natural rate is due to different features. CBD, for example, is known for countering the effect of a substance that destroys bone and hinders the bone repair and healing processes. Fractured bones heal when callus forms a link between the two ends of the bones. Cannabinoids lead to the formation of stronger callus, which reduces the susceptibility to future fractures.
- Reduces anxiety: Although CBD has been commonly used to treat physiological conditions, research has shown that it works well in the treatment of some mental health conditions, like anxiety.
- Anti-seizure effect: Seizures are caused by fluctuations in the brain. There are several cases which depict that the anti-seizure property of CBD has been seen over the years, but this was confirmed by science only recently.
Finally, CBD isn’t just a great compound. It also offers so many benefits to the body as listed above. One beautiful thing about CBD is that it doesn’t get you high, it is non-addictive, and it has no known side effect.